Tuesday 12 December 2017

Day 12 And the Fireplace is Bricked



I spent the morning finishing the embroidery on a Real Life Christmas stocking, and the afternoon and very early evening bricking the fireplace and the fire back. I can't wait to put this corner vignette together permanently! It is being held up by my clamp bucket and the brush jug, and it is a pain....

The bricks are painted sandpaper; I had read on-line that someone had painted sandpaper and then noticed a nice texture where her fingers had accidentally landed, so I dabbed my wet paint with a wad of paper towel, and it does give a very nice additional texture. It still needs a bit of chalk aging and then a spray of artist's preservative.



This picture is actually in focus, unlike yesterday's, and shows the fireplace nicely. As I forgot to add the mantel before doing the bricks, I left a strip bare to attach that to. That's for another day.

Day 1, 2, 7, and 8 are now more or less done; that just leaves 20 more days to do in less than two weeks. Well, it will not be finished before Christmas Eve, but I will get it as close as I can and then complete it in the New Year. I'm just extending Christmas, I guess!

At least I'm keeping busy and back with minis....

3 comments:

  1. I love your idea to add additional texture to your sandpaper bricks. They look great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's such an easy way to add texture! I'll probably use the technique again. The bricks still need some chalk work to bring them to life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your white brick fireplace turned out Splendidly! Having that additional texture from the painted sandpaper really worked a treat :D

    ReplyDelete