Friday 6 March 2015

Miniature Foods


Eight miniature pizzas, in boxes. The two closed boxes in the front contain duplicates of some of the other pizzas. There a 5 different varieties of pizza, including a California pizza with Vidalia onion slices. These were fun to make, and finding the non-specific pizza boxes on the internet really added to the presentation. I'm happy! The sweet  pepper bits were cut down from pepper rings I made years ago, and have a translucent inner side. There's bits of ham, mushroom slices, black olives, pepperoni slices, and pineapple on these tiny pizzas, and a garnish of real, finely crushed oregano leaves.



And then there are eight steak pie and chips plates, complete with gravy and smears of ketchup. The fries have salt, a.k.a. fine white decorator's sand, on them, although that doesn't show all that well in this small photo format. The white paper picnic plates were a purchase three years ago, at Birmingham Miniatura; I was able to get 3 different sizes at a very good price. Unfortunately, the dealer's name wasn't on the package, but I seem to remember it was Janet Brownhill who carried these at her table.

I did find a very good basket for the other fast foods; my husband reduced it down for me and then printed me a page of 49 of them, far more than I need for this project! Guess there'll be more cooking in my future. They are proving very fiddly to put together, but the effect is great. Those photos will be up tomorrow, as I am currently cooking some daubs of ketchup to go with the fish and chips baskets.

As well, today we booked our flight to London; I am really, truly getting to visit the Kensington Dolls House Festival in May! We also hope to visit the Weald and Downland Museum, where the full-size version of my Tudor market can be found, as well as a whole bunch of other Tudor buildings. And I am finally, finally getting to visit the British Museum; in the course of my life, I've been in London at least 8 or 9 times, and have yet to get to the museum. My husband and I both studied Art History with an excellent professor, and we are looking forward to seeing some of the things we studied in university at first hand, in the flesh, so to speak.

These wonderful miniature edibles were made following basic instructions in the February and March issues of Dollshouse and Miniature Scene magazine, and there are more food articles coming. I am looking forward to experimenting with some ethnic cuisines in miniature in the future. My tendency is to read and study the articles, look up similar ideas available on the internet, and then re-interpret them based on techniques I've used successfully in the past, but I always learn new techniques this way.


2 comments:

  1. You should start an Etsy shop to sell things like this! They look as good as anything I've seen on Etsy. Yummy enough to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete