Monday 27 January 2014

Tudor Apothecary Workshop Tall Chimney

The computer went to the PC Girls today, and they discovered that there was a problem with an old IP address that wasn't randomizing (whatever that means!). Hopefully, I can now upload photos again.


Yes, it worked! The chimney at this point is only attached to the roof gable, the two side pieces have to go on yet, as well as the open end gable. The fit is pretty good, I may have to do a tiny bit of added clay to hide the teeny gap I can see. The back roof, when it is finished, fits flush with the back side of the Apothecary Workshop, while the front roof with the louvers will overhang the lower story. It's nearly impossible to see that the brick courses in the lower chimney are not quite straight, thank goodness.

One of the small problems I didn't think about was covering the join between the lower and second stories; it is quite wide, so I think I may have to do a single extra-wide strip there, rather than two strips. That would create a lip to hold the roof in place - it will continue to be removable for ease of display and moving it.

Next will be the chimney cap, and the installation of the chimney pots. More clay work, also glue, and patience. Waiting for glue and paint to dry is not one of my favourite activities....

1 comment:

  1. I honestly don't think you need to worry if your brick courses are somewhat wonky in places... It's a tudor building, after all... I've seen some pretty irregular bricklaying on buildings from the 1600s. Adds character. :)

    ReplyDelete