Monday 4 November 2013

No Photos Today, As Paper Clay Drying is Boring!

The inside walls of the Tudor Apothecary are drying, as I was able to skip the brick lines I thought I'd have to make. Apparently, and why didn't I realize this, the Romans plastered all their inside walls; then they painted them, either with gorgeous scenes or faux panelling and pillars. So, I went ahead and did two of the walls. Hopefully, they will be dry tomorrow, ready to sand, paint, and age.

The difficult wall to paper clay will be the one with the stove and hood on it; no paper clay where they will go, so things will stay in place. Also, I have to start drilling holes to take wiring; in all likelihood, I will use LED lighting on batteries, those have to be researched to see how many and so on, as I've only installed single LED's so far. I'd like to make a four-arm candelabra for the work room, as well as a fire in the hearth, and a wall sconce or two. Then all the wires will have to be hidden somehow, on the outside back wall most likely. Things to ponder....

The "marble" vault supports and hood brackets are painted and ready to install once the walls are done. The "stone" drip mould looks pretty good, so it is ready to place once the lower front wall is bricked. The beams on the upper front wall are in place, so as soon as the inside plastering is dry, I can tackle the outside plaster. Right now, all the walls are disassembled as they are so much easier to work on when they lie flat. And I have to put either stone or tile on the huge floor area,  nearly144 square inches! Paper clay floor tiles have to dry under a weight, so they take several days to dry completely.

The new, thinner front arch has been cut, that will need bricks on the arch area, and timber supports with plaster on the rest of it. And I have to figure out a nice way to finish the front edges of the MDF carcass, usually we iron on veneer tape. In the case of this building, however, the edges would likely have to be painted. More decisions to make. And we need to cut the lower half of the outside chimney, as it will have to be considered in the outside brickwork.

No comments:

Post a Comment